Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Sad Story Told in Stone -- The Thatcher Babies at Lann Cemetery

by Terry Thornton
email: hillcountrymonroecounty@gmail.com

The first cemetery inventory I did was Lann Cemetery, Splunge, Monroe County, Mississippi. Over two days on November 12 and 13, 2002, I worked with Sherman Thornton, my brother, and Tom Plunkett, my cousin, photographing and making lists of the burials at Lann Cemetery.

On that first day I'll never forget the tears that came to my eyes as I saw one baby grave marker after another in my camera view finder all bearing the same surname. Those tiny grave markers all lined up makes a strong and emotional statement to all who see them --- and without further comment, the Thatcher Grave Markers are presented below, two markers for adults followed by nine markers for children. Click photographs for a larger image.






















Thatcher Grave Markers Photographs
, Lann Cemetery, Splunge, Monroe County, Mississippi, November 12, 2002, by Terry Thornton, Fulton, Mississippi.