A Photographic Essay
by Terry Thornton
Flags and guard of honor
On Saturday afternoon, November 14, 2009, the late James Wyatt Spencer, Corporal, Company F, 24th Mississippi Infantry CSA, was honored and remembered in a grave marking and dedication service. Corporal Spencer, 1840-1923, is buried in Maxcy Cemetery, Itawamba County, Mississippi. The service was conducted by the Corinth Chapter #333 of the Mississippi Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Kathryn Sewell, President of the Corinth Chapter of the UDC gave opening and welcoming remarks.
The great-grandson of Corporal Spencer, Charles A. Spencer offered a short scripture reading and lead the assembled group in the Lord's Prayer.
Frances Ramer, UCD Corinth, and Abby Hamlet, Chief Tishomingo Children of the American Revolution Society, unveiled the CSA military marker honoring Corporal Spencer.
Following dedicatory remarks by Kathryn Sewall, Charles Spencer offered a tribute to his great-grandfather.
Maxcy Cemetery is located on a high hill overlooking Reed's Creek. One of the oldest roads into Itawamba County was the Wilderness Road coming north from Monroe County. A gristmill, Maxcy Mill, was located on the creek just below the cemetery --- and Maxcy Church was once located across Wilderness Road from the cemetery. Today the cemetery is on private land and the road into the area is private.
Grave Marking and Dedication Service Program for Corporal James Wyatt Spencer, November 14, 2009/
Maxcy Cemetery, Church, Mill, and Wilderness Road information from Itawamba County Historian Bob Franks, email November 13, 2009, to Terry Thornton.
Photographs by Terry Thornton, Fulton, Mississippi, November 14, 2009.