Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Home --- To The Hills

by Terry Thornton
email: hillcountrymonroecounty@gmail.com


After sixteen days in New Orleans, Sweetie and I returned to the hills late yesterday. It is good to be back home although the low temperature (12 degrees) this morning was a shocker! We drove most of the day Monday watching the temperature drop from the 40s in New Orleans to freezing across all of north Mississippi. And the drive was made more interesting because of the light snow showers for much of the way north of Electric Mills/Scooba to about West Point.


Snow is so rare in Mississippi that it always is a pleasure (for me) to see it falling.


The weatherman predicts accumulating snow for later this week with even colder air to follow. It promises to be an interesting time --- and because I love snow, I'm looking forward to a "winter" in the hill country.


The stay in New Orleans was wonderful --- it was good to get a different perspective on life from spending time in unfamiliar surroundings. Two photographs show just how different my perspective has been --- instead of green green grass and pine trees (yes, my lawn is still green; the rye grass has managed nicely), I had views of the city. Photo 1 is the view I had out the window by the elevator as I waited to go down from the apartment. One Shell Square is the primary feature; standing 697 feet, the 51 story building is the tallest in New Orleans. Photo 2 is the view out one of the windows of the apartment; the building on the right is the back/side of Le Pavillon (opened in 1907 and still one of the best hotels in the South) and the building on the left is a currently-empty circa 1860s building.




I've been waiting since 4:30 AM for sunrise this morning so I can open the curtains and look upon trees and grass and hills --- and instead of hearing the rumble of the St. Charles Avenue streetcar, I hope to hear just the faint sounds of birds chirping at my feeder or perhaps the distant sound of a tugboat's horn on the waterway.


But what I hope to see and hear is a "thunder snow storm."


Did I say I love snow?


It is good to be home.

No comments: